Thursday, July 16, 2009

What lies beneath...

This beautiful Musky, a huge fish in the cold waters of Minaki, Ontario, was spotted by my husband on his recent catch-and-release fishing trip. The way it looks suspended in liquid, molten silver, floating without a care beneath the soft ripples of the clear water, makes this appear to be a photo shop composition.

However, it is very real, just as he saw it. I told him it would be a beautiful quilt, and immediately I thought -- what fabrics, how to quilt it, maybe I should now learn some appliqué. What size, what batt, on and on.

All it takes is a brief look at something out of your ordinary day to get the wheels turning. Maybe you can find something “below the surface” and get the creative sparks sparking!

Keep quilting and enjoy your own summer pastimes even if you don’t do anything more than observe, do some virtual quilting, and store up some ideas for the winter by taking in summer’s beauty.

Diane

5 comments:

Terrie Sandelin said...

I can't say that I am normally a big fan of fishes but, really, that is one beautiful fish! I really like how you see it as inspiration -- good advice!

Elaine said...

When I first saw the picture I also thought of beautiful quilt. I'm sure with your quilting ability it would look very nice. Can't wait to see you try it.

Kim Brackett said...

That really would be a beautiful quilt! That's probably why you're an artist. I just saw the picture and said, "Oh, a fish." :)

Dena said...

Here I was looking at the photo and thinking it was one our your quilting projects. LOL!

Diane Gaudynski said...

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I tend to "always" see quilts in everything.